Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana) yoga pose stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands and also increases the blood circulation. Shoulderstand (sarvangasana) is often referred to as the “queen of all yoga postures,” with Headstand being deemed the “King.” The Shoulder Stand is a Yoga Posture that invigorates and rejuvenates your whole body.
Benefits of Sarvangasana
- Improved Digestion. The change in gravity helps the bowels move freely which aids digestion significantly.
- Less Strain on the Heart. Since you are lying in an inverted position, the heart doesn’t have to work as hard to pump blood to various parts of the body.
- Stronger Immune System. The lymphatic system is responsible for immune system response among other functions. The lymph is similar to blood in that it depends on gravity for movement. So, by staying inverted, the lymphatic system gets stimulated and boosts your immune system response.
- Relieves Common Cold. Since you create a firm chinlock when practicing Sarvangasana and the head stays firm in this inverted position, the blood supply to the head gets regulated and this helps relieve nasal congestions and headaches.
- Increased Self-Confidence. Although I can’t say my self-confidence has gone up just from practicing Sarvangasana alone, practicing it every day is supposed to help you feel alive and confident.
* Information on the traditional uses and properties of Yoga are provided on this site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice.