Vastu shastra is an ancient science of architecture and construction. Its principles include design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement and spatial geometry. It is all about the interaction of various forms of best effect on a living person. It aims to create a subtle conducive atmosphere in a structure in which we can bring the best in ourselves, thereby paving the way for enhanced health, wealth, prosperity and happiness in an enlightened environment. Like any other science, vaastu is universal, rational, practical and utilitarian. It is not a religion but a science. The principle laid down in Vastu Shastra were formulated keeping in view, the cosmic influence of the Sun, its light and heat, solar energy, directions of wind, the moon position, the earth’s magnetic field and the influence of cosmos on our planet. The system is an admixture of science of directions, astronomy and astrology.Out of the nine planets, our planet has life because of the presence of these five elements. The world comprises of five basic elements, also known as the Paanchbhootas. They are Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Space. Earth and Water have limited and localised availability for the human habitat and growth.
Following are some of the golden principles of Vastu Shastra :
- Shape of the plot should be either rectangular or square.
- Ratio of length to width should be less than 2.
- Doors facing south are not at all advisable.
- House next to temple or grave-yard should be avoided.
- All doors and windows facing east and north should be kept open in daytime whereas those facing south and west should be kept closed when not in use.
- Try to avoid seller in your premises.
- No one should sleep and seat under beam of iron.
- The head of the family or couple’s bedroom should be on southwest corner of the building.
- While sleeping head should be kept in south or west direction.
- One should use light colors for Bedroom walls, bed-sheets, and nightdress.
- The seating arrangement in drawing room should be such that person seating faces either north or east only.
- South, west or southwest directions are advisable for electronic instruments and apparatus.
- Important cupboards should be kept in such a way that the person opening it should face south direction.
- Mandir or puja room should be kept in northeast. One should seat facing east when praying, and, should use silver utensils and wear silk dress.
- Kitchen should be kept in southeast or in northwest only. Person should face east or north when cooking.
- Everybody should face east or north while eating.
VAASTU Shastra believes in the existence of VAASTU Purush who is the main deity of a building. In this regard Rigved says:
“TAVA TVAM VAASTUNYU IMASI GA MADHYE
YATR GAVAU BHURI SHRINGA AVASAH ||”